1. When we want to make contribution, there always be obstacle. Call it a cause or what, something meaningful will always be difficult. We need a supportive environment and supportive companion.
2. Ramadan Kareem is coming soon. It is the time that we can make choice either to follow our nafs or find the correct purpose that we will choose to pursue. The basic motivation for nafs is survival. Therefore, it has to conduct itself on reactive basis. On the other hand, the total opposite is aql; the rational domain in decision-making.
3. Ramadan is the month to sanction nafs and to promote aql in order to conquer ruh (spirit). Refraining self from sinful behaviour and promoting good self-behaviour are the essence of fasting in Ramadan.
4. Contribution is encouraged in Ramadan. It gives us the sense of meaning like never before. Remember, no man is so poor as to have nothing worth giving. Even little gesture like smiling is considered as sadaqah. Even if you know how to read, find someone who can’t. If you’ve food, find those who starve and if you are happy, seek out some one who is not. Each one of us can do a little to bring some portion of misery to an end.
5. We relish news on donation by the government minister, forgetting that we ourselves can become a hero too, in a small way. Make contribution to the extend that the right hand didn’t even know what the left hand delivered.
Happy Ramadan al-Kareem.