1. She just wanted to watch tv. But mom said, you have to be selective. I will decide which programs suit you.
2. Her day fills with tuition at irregular hours. Homework stretches her day to the middle of the night. On weekend; singing class, taekwando and piano lesson drain her energy.
3. She has been taught to memorize essays which aren’t her native language a week before the exam and failing to do so, she loses out miserably.
4. Finally, her determination drops.
5. I have seen many of this kind. Young people burnt out at early phase of life. Putting some expectation is good but too much will be harmful, so to speak.
6. Worst still kiasu set in. Hokkien for fear of losing. It creates a highly competitive culture for the child to live in.
7. All I want mom to do is to reward her for wanted behavior such as completes her homework by allowing her to watch her favourite tv show.
8. Reduce tuition classes if evidence shows the child benefits more from the lengthy school exercise and homeworks.
9. Watch out for stress and depression.
10. As someone says, the only way love can last a lifetime is if it’s unconditional. The truth is, love is not determined by the one being loved but rather by the one choosing to love.