1. Beseri is just a small town, located between Kangar and Padang Besar. It is famous for the fish market and sugar cane plantation near Chuping.
2. It was here that I spent sometimes when I was a medical and health officer.
3. The house that I lived in was surrounded by mempelam (mango) trees of special variation, harum manis. In Perlis, people used to eat pulut lemak with mempelam harum manis. Pulut lemak is basically a glutinous rice cooked with coconut milk. Eating pulut lemak with mempelam is as delicious as eating pulut lemak with durian.
4. I remember when the season comes, we would do gotong-royong to pick fruits and divide them equally among us.
5. This is how pulut lemak and mempelam harum manis look like:
(Pic courtesy: http://vois-of-me.blogspot.com)
6. This food is, in fact, derives from a Thai dessert known as Khao Niaow Ma Muang. Here, pulut is prepared separately from thick santan cream. They are mixed and taken together with either with durian or mempelam.